I am pretty much in love with anything that has mexican flavors in it. I love chili. I have been trying to make sure I get enough protein (and iron and fiber) in my diet now a days and decided to try adding some quinoa to my favorite chili recipe to give it a little extra nutritional punch.
If you are someone who hasn’t tried quinoa, this is a great way to introduce it. It blends in so well with the other flavors, beans and veggies. You hardly know it’s there. Give it a try!
4 cloves garlic
2 tbsp olive oil
2 (10-12oz) cans of diced tomatoes with green chillies
1 (8 oz) can of tomato sauce
4 tbsp of chili powder
1 tsp of oregano
1.5 tsp of cumin
salt and pepper to taste
1 can black beans
1 can kidney or pinto beans
1 cup of frozen corn
2 red peppers chopped
1 cup of Quinoa
1. In large pot add oil, saute garlic
2. Add 2 cans of tomatoes, tomato sauce, chili powder, cumin, salt and pepper, oregano, beans, cut red pepper and corn.
3. Bring mixture to a boil, reduce heat and simmer for 20 mins.
4. In the meantime cook quinoa in 2 cups of water. Cover and simmer for 15 mins.
5. When quinoa is done, add to chili. Stir and serve.
6. Add some cheese or avocado slices if you wanted to.