Do you love climbing trees? I sure do. I grew up hanging out in the forest, climbing trees in dresses. I feel like it’s a big joke with some of our friends that I am always over dressed with inappropriate shoes on for whatever it is that we are doing. Yet, I am still the one who is the most eager to do whatever that is. I have always been a dressed up tomboy.
Isn’t this bright yellow skirt just the cutest? Love the pattern and cute bell shape to it. Did you guys have a nice long weekend? We spent the weekend up in Canada visiting family and saying good bye to my sister because she is moving to British Columbia. I will have lots of pictures to share, but I left my camera in my Dad’s car and have to wait to get it back. Bummer!
I’ve set up another shop my closet. If you’re interested you can head on over and take a look at the goodies I put up. All prices include shipping. No International shipping at this time other than to Canada.
Sometimes the life of being a mom takes over my everyday. That is a funny thing to say because of course it does, but I mean towards how I dress. I find myself more and more casual these days. It’s ok. I don’t mind it. I gives me a chance to try and get creative with being casual and comfortable but still put together. There are days though were the girl who loves to dress up for no reason at all still sneaks through. I LOVE dressing up.
I really liked putting this outfit together. The bow, the leather jacket, the floral print. Seems like it says “Jen” to me!
Are you someone who likes to get dressed up? Or do you just love to be casual?
Dress: (c/o) Banana Republic IT’S ON SALE!!
White Button Up: American Apparel
Bow Tie: Random Ribbon
Moto Jacket: Forever 21 (similar)
Heels: Jeffrey Campbell (similar)
I love S’mores. I think they are the ultimate summer dessert (of course next to strawberry shortcake). We were having a bbq with friends last week and I offered to bring dessert. I decided to make some easy oven baked s’mores to kick off the first bbq of the season. Easiest dessert ever.
1. Line baking sheet with graham crackers.
2. Pile on chocolate chips and marshmallows.
3. Stick in a preheated oven (400 degrees) and cook for about 5 mins. Keep a close eye on them. It doesn’t take that long.
4. Sandwich up the two halves.
5. Line your baking sheet with wax paper.
6. In a double broiler, melt the rest of the chocolate chips. Dip half of the s’mores in the melted chocolate. Place back on baking sheet.
7. Sprinkle with sprinkles or other garnish (like toasted coconut, crushed health bar, etc…) Then place into fridge.
This past weekend we had such a lovely time at home (our parents home) with the most incredible weather. It made me realize how thankful I am for so many things. We played outside almost all weekend. We went on the boat, played in the sprinkler, ate amazing meals and were surround by our loved ones. That to me is what Summer is all about!
Here are some things I am thankful for…
1. Our amazing families. Rowan is a lucky little lady to have such amazing Grandparents who love her so very much (Aunties as well!). Our parents are so wonderful with her. It’s so easy to tell just how much she loves them. I know they are going to give her so many opportunities to experience new things and spoil her to death. We are very blessed.
2. The health and vibrant little personality of Rowan. We have always said Rowan has a “big” personality. She is such a ham. Seeing her outside running around enjoying life brings so much joy to our lives. We couldn’t have asked for a better fit into our family. She is adventurous, fearless and oooh so social. I love this age so much!
3. Summer! Being able to be outside over the weekend felt so good. Ahhh we loved every minute. Both of our parents have great back yards and it just confirmed how important that is to us to find in our next house. Being cooped up in this apt. is seriously getting to be the worst. I am so excited to have a deck, our bbq back and a big yard for us all to run around and play in.
4. Kev and the Dad he has become. Kevin was apprehensive about becoming a Dad before Rowan showed up, but he stepped up to the plate in more ways than I could ever have imagined. He is so good with her! From the very beginning Rowan has been a Daddy’s girl and that only goes to show just how wonderful of a Dad he is to her. He is the greatest big kid ever.
5. Running. It has been so great to get back in to training for something. My friend Lacey has been running with me and she is so fun to run beside! Our runs seem like minutes long as we chat the entire time. It has been so helpful in getting myself out of the funk I had been feeling over the past little while. Boy Oh Boy exercise is good for your mind!!
We had a busy but great week last week! As I mentioned, we were home at my parents visiting for the week. Something about being at my parents makes me eat like crap. Well, not crap but just delicious, not good for you food. My sister and I were out at target like every day looking for snacks to buy and bring home. It doesn’t help that my mom is an excellent baker and cook. So much food!!!
It is nice to be home though and back into our sort of regular routine (we are not good at keeping routine whether at home or not). Loving that it is finally getting warmer and I can confidently put on a dress everyday and not have to look at the weather to see if my bare legs will survive the temperature.
Dress: Modcloth (c/o)
Cardigan: J.Crew (Similar)
Sandals: Dolce Vita (Similar) Best Sandals!
I signed up for another half marathon last week. It’s June 24th in Connecticut! Just over 5 weeks away. This will be my 2nd time running this particular race and my 4th half. I have been running a lot lately with my friend Lacey and we are already up to 9 miles. It always feels so good to get back into training. It helps me keep a lot of things in line like my food, sleep, exercise, and keeping a clear mind.
Whenever I start hitting longer runs on the weekend, I find myself getting into a very particular routine. I like to wear the same clothes (of course washed since the last week), eat the same food, drink the same thing, etc… Here are my most favorite items to wear and carry on all my long runs.
1. Running Belt: This is a must have for long runs.
2. Nike GPS Watch: Ok, so I don’t have this yet, but I want one ooooh so badly!
3. Nike Capri Running Pants: I HATE running in shorts. I blame it on my hips and thighs. I don’t have stick legs and I’ll be honest and say my thighs touch when I run. Talk about chaffing- ouch! I always wear a pair of capri leggings when I run.
4. Running Hat: This is a new addition. I feel super nerdy when I wear it but sometimes the sun is just so dang bright and squinting and running for 2+ hours is not fun.
5. Nike Dry-Fit Tank: I just got the coolest striped one from Dicks Sporting Goods.
6. Asics Running Shoes: I am an addict. I wont buy anything but Asics.
7. Clif Shot Blocks: Hungry and fatigue sneak up quick on long runs. The GU packs turn my stomach but these fruit chews do the trick. Plus they are 95% organic.
Are you training for any races right now?
p.s. Someone asked in the comments what my favorite sports bra was? Well, this one is hands down my favorite!
Mother’s Day was such a lovely day. The weather was beautiful and I got the spend the entire day with Kev and Rowan. We went to church, then out to Brunch in Troy and then spent some time walking around Washington Park.
I don’t use this blog very often as a platform to share my beliefs (and will continue to keep it that way), but I couldn’t help but reflect on being a mother as we sat in church on Sunday. Being a Mom has completely changed who I am. Not in a bad way of course, I am still myself in every aspect but it has changed me from the inside out. I feel like becoming a parent is God’s way of giving us a small glimpse of understanding to the magnitude of love he has for us. He has humbled me in so many ways over this past 20 months and his grace has become even more evident. I read a book a while back about marriage and it stated… “what if God created marriage to make us holy instead of happy?” I kind of feel the same way about parenthood. I am far, far from perfect but I feel like everyday God is working in me and refining me to be more like him. I am trying to grow as a mother every day. To be more patient, more loving, more forgiving, and more giving. Becoming a parent also brings a lot of fear. Fear for the things you can’t control in your kids life (health, future, etc…). It gives me such comfort knowing that God has a plan mapped out for Rowan. That she was molded and created by him and that his plan will always be greater than mine. Being a Mom is one of the hardest jobs I have ever had. It is nonstop from the time you wake up, to the time you go to bed. There are no days off but it has been the greatest blessing I have ever experienced.
Rowan you have my whole heart. I could not be more proud to be called your Mom.
p.s. I am totally in love with this pretty dress and these wedges are by far the most comfortable, easy to walk in wedges I own.
Rowan and I headed out yesterday to spend the week at my Mom’s. My sister is in town and we just need to get away for a bit (we are sad Kev couldn’t come too). My parents live out in the country and have spotty internet but it never seems to fail that when I show up (miss internet addict) it never seems to work. Just my luck.
I am counting it as a blessing and enjoying the country air and the super big back yard that we don’t have the luxury of having in Albany. Rowan is in heaven! My sister brought her 2 dogs and Rowan I think has squealed and said “puppy” like a million and one times. Now if I could just get her to eat something instead of dropping it off her tray for the dogs we would be all set.
Hope you are having a fabulous week so far! The internet starting working for a bit so I am going to try to get a bunch of post set and scheduled.
p.s. pictures above are just some random picture taken with my phone over the last week. If you don’t follow me on instagram but want to see the pictures, you can subscribe to our tumblr page and see all of our instagram pics there (both Kev and mine).
Looking back at High School and College, I can say with out a doubt the one thing that single handedly shaped who I am today was music. I use to eat, sleep and breath music. I was not a musical kid although I tried to be. I just loved listening to music, going to shows and well listening to more music. The whole culture that surrounded the music I listened to had such a huge impact on my life. It was what defined me. Looking back now, it’s so silly to think that I defined who I was by what type of music I listened to but, thats what you do when you are young, right? HA! Kev and I bonded over that music when we first met. Our first date was to go see one of our favorite bands. I realized over the past few years the amount of music I listen to has gone down significantly. I am not sure if it is because Rowan is around or what but we don’t really listen to a lot anymore. I get that everyone grows up and maybe tastes evolve from what they use to listen to but I don’t want to forget about the past. Last night we sat in the car with some friends for like 45 mins rehashing all the old bands we use to love. I wanted so badly to listen to each and every record there on the spot.
I always go back and forth whether I think it is appropriate for Rowan to listen to the music we listen to. Most of it I don’t care, but some of it I am not so sure. I guess the same goes with movies, tv, and well everything really. I had a really funny realization the other day. Kev came home from work and was having a snack and watching The Simpsons. Rowan climbed up next to him and I started laughing and said “do you realize that Rowan is sitting here watching a show that I was never allowed to watch as a kid?” How do you decide what you show your kids and what you don’t? Granted Rowan is still a little too little to fully understand much but she is getting there for sure.
Anyway, I started this post to just say I want to listen to more music in our house. We listen to a lot of kid stuff but I want to listen to more than that. I want Rowan to grow up knowing how important is was/is to Kev and I. I think it would be awesome if one day she was listening to an Oldies station and thought “oh I love this! My Mom and Dad use to listen to this”. My taste in music has broadened a lot since H.S but man o man that old stuff is still such a treat.
It seems like my taste in clothing continues to change ever since becoming a Mom. I find myself heading in to my closet and purging more often than not these days. I got rid of a bunch of dresses a while ago and have been slowing adding some new ones back in. I got a few great ones from Modcloth last week. I can’t wait to take them to Florida with us when we go next month. This striped dress was one of the new ones. It fits perfect, is a good length and I see a millions ways to wear it. I layered it up the other day because it was still a bit chilly for a sleeveless dress.
1. Watching her develop friends has been such a huge joy. There is a little girl at our church that she gets along with so well. She is slightly older than Rowan and I think that’s they way Rowan likes it. It keeps her going and trying new things. I love watching them interact. They just run around following each other, laughing and having such a good time. It is really sweet. They are the best playground buddies.
2. Long bike rides together as a family have got to be one of my favorites (or walks) but bikes are just so fun. We biked 16 miles the other day and Rowan was just loving it. She sits behind me in a little seat but she can reach my back. She is always tickling me and laughing because she thinks it’s funny. I love the idea of her sitting back there with the wind in her hair (helmet) watching the world go by. So fun.
3. It’s funny how no matter how hard your day was or how frustrated you are, a single smile or giggle from your little one instantly melts you in to a big puddle. Top that with a little hug and nothing really ever seems as bad as you thought it was. Little kids have magical powers for turning bad moods around, even if they are the ones that put you in that mood
1. Going to see houses with your real estate lady alone with your toddler in houses full of other kids toys that they can’t touch, is probably the worst idea ever. I can’t blame her. I would want to play with all the new toys that I didn’t have at home. There were lots of tantrums that day.
2. This is sort of an up and down. Rowan has been stringing more and more words together to say little sentences. Some of them though are so far off from what she is saying, I have no idea what she is trying to tell me. It is so awesome to hear her try to tell me something so intently, but it is so upsetting and I feel so bad that sometime I can’t figure out what she is telling me. Yesterday, she said this sentence like 100 times over and over. She keep pointing at the door saying it. We were trying everything to figure it out. Then as we were leaving to go to the park and we passed the pool in our building we realized she was saying “I want to go to the pool.” Oh my gosh so cute but I felt terrible that it took us so long.
3. Yesterday morning was rough! Rowan feel asleep the night before at almost 1am, then woke up yesterday morning at 6am. Omgosh! She was not a happy camper. She didn’t want to be touched, she didn’t want to eat, she didn’t want to drink, she didn’t want to do anything but flap around on the floor crying and whining. Poor baby. I did actually get her back to sleep at 8:30am. It was short lived but it makes you appreciate their normal behavior a lot more when you have a glimpse of how crazy they can get. Oh little Rowan!
Mother’s Day is around the corner. Next week! I kind of love Mother’s Day. I love celebrating how awesome my mom is and now being a mom it’s fun to have a little special attention for the day. Being a Mom is such a blessed gift, make sure you celebrate the mom’s you know in your life next weekend!
Anyway, it is no secret that we LOVE Pinhole Press in our household. They are our go to place for awesome gifts. Mother’s Day is no exception. We got each of our Moms a beautiful framed print of Rowan and then a super cute list notepad. Each of the notepads say “Love You Grammy” on the front and then “Sending you Kisses” on the inside. I really like that you can print whatever you want on them.
*Funny story about the picture in the Frame. This scenario is called “The Reenactment” in our family. My mom and her sisters have a very special picture of them from when they were really little. In the picture 3 of them are sitting on a couch and the littlest one is laying across them all. Some how over the years whenever my Mom and her 3 sisters are together they take a picture “reenacting” the picture. It gets funnier and funnier every year. Anyhoo, last year at my cousins wedding my sisters and I took a picture with Rowan reenacting the photo. I know my mom will really love it.
Boston is by far our most favorite city! We just love it so much! We had the best time getting to play tourists with my cousins last weekend. Have you ever been to Boston before? If not, I highly recommend it!
Right before we left, we were walking through the common and there was quite an elaborate little band set up playing for people. Rowan was loving it! She was hamming it up for everyone there. I was crying I was laughing so hard watching her dance around and try to get the other baby to interact with her. Our little performer…
How is everyone’s week going? We have been hanging out with family and doing a little bit of house hunting. I always feel like I have to dress a certain way when I go to see houses. I feel like I already look like a teen, so I wear a blazer to make myself feel a little more professional looking. I am crazy, I know. I don’t think a blazer will stop me from getting carded for buying spray paint, cough syrup, or rated r movies at walmart. I once even got asked (last year) if I was old enough to sit in the exit row on the airplane. I laughed and said “how old do you have to be?”. The flight attendant said “16”. Seriously? I don’t even look 16? I am not complaining. I would much rather look younger than say 90, but when I am out with Rowan I would like to not get so many teen mom looks from old ladies.
Rowan climbed her first mountain on Saturday! My cousin and her husband drove down from Canada this weekend to celebrate their wedding anniversary in Boston and to visit us. On Saturday, we decided to take advantage of the beautiful weather and go for a hike. Rowan loved scaling all the rocks and picking up walking sticks. Although, she wasn’t all that skilled at climbing up the side of a mountain. Ha! There was lots of piggy back rides and hand holding to get her to the top. She loved every minute of it though. There was quite a lot of screaming on the way down because she didn’t want to leave.
Being outside in the fresh air is truly good for the soul. It is so refreshing! There isn’t much that I love more. What is your favorite thing to do outside?