One of my most favorite people on the internet (the lovely Danielle) tagged me in her 11 Things post the other day, and just like everyone else has been saying, I normally don’t participate in things like this. However, I woke up this morning and said “why the heck not!” haha. I loved reading Danielle’s so much, I thought I would jump on in…
Here are the rules..
1. Post these rules.
2. Post a photo of yourself and 11 random things.
3. Answer the questions set for you in the original post.
4. Create 11 new questions and tag people to answer them.
5. Go to their blog/twitter and tell them you’ve tagged them.
1. I am deathly afraid of scary movies. Like, my world shatters if I see the commercials even. haha. My bother in law convinced us to watch The Exorcism of Emily Rose 7 years ago and I literally cried myself to sleep for weeks. Still to this day if I am up at 3am I freak out. That was the last scary movie I have ever watched. It is just not fun to me at all. PLEASE HOLLYWOOD STOP MAKING EXORCISM MOVIES!!
2. I am a very big dreamer. Everyday I feel like I am scheming up new ideas of things I want to accomplish, places I want to visit, and things I want to try out. Sometimes I get so overwhelmed by the things I come up with, that I just lie in bed thinking about them at night instead of sleeping. The thing is though, I am not just a big dreamer. If I get an idea I have to do it. I am not someone that sits by and lets their dreams just be dreams. I have to make things happen. I can not sit still and let life pass me by.
3. I LOVE CANDY. I have a weird sweet tooth. I am a pretty healthy eater and it’s funny because my downfalls aren’t the normal ice cream, brownies, cake, cookies, cupcakes, etc. If there was a cupcake on the counter I probably wouldn’t eat it. I mean I like them but they are not an obsession. I do love candy though. That’s what gets me. I love nerds, hot tamales, strawberry laughy taffy, peanut m&m’s, carmello’s and I LOVE fruit popsicles and smoothies. In Canada when I was younger, my sisters and I were obsessed with the individual Chocolate popsicles they would sell in the convenience (Mac) stores. They are hard to find now in Canada, but they are so good. They are not a fudgsicle! Anyone know what I am talking about?
4. I am a super emotional girl. I cry a lot. haha. Not because I am sad but because everything just moves me. It can be sad, happy, exciting you name it I am probably crying. Especially now when it comes to Rowan. I am a sobbing mess.
5. When we first moved to the U.S from Canada, we had to go back up to the border one time to get some paper work done and when we got there they told my dad we weren’t allowed back in to the U.S. Something got messed up with the paper work and they wouldn’t let us go home until it was fixed. haha. As a 5th grader I thought this was awesome!!! I got to miss school for a week and go hang out at my Grandmas.
6. For some reason I have a hard time seeing myself as a mom when I am surrounded by other moms (friends are ok) but anything like playdates, or Mom’s groups make me really, really uncomfortable. I don’t know why. I think in my head I have convinced myself that everyone is looking at me thinking she it too young and that I don’t fit in. I know I am not young. I am almost 30, but I think my perception of myself around other moms is that I feel 16. It’s weird, I know.
7. I am really bad at listening to new music. I am still hanging on for dear life to my favorites from high school & college. I will embarrassingly admit there is still a heavy rotation of piebald, saves the day, jimmy eat world, (cough) (cough) dashboard, mates of state, Mirah, Silent Drive, At the Drive in going on in our house. I don’t only listen to them of course, but seeing that I graduated high school 12 years ago, I think I need to let go.
8. I am pretty obsessed with mini ponies. I mean they are mini ponies? That is just awesome. (p.s. this story about a mini pony in the Apple store is the best. I mean BEST!)
9. I am convinced that I was supposed to be born in Paris. *swoon. Hearing any kind of french jazz music I am swept off my feet dreaming of romantic nights with Kev. I think we will live there one day.
10. I once made a list of life goals when I was way younger (which ended up being kind of silly) that included things like 1. Be the fittest Grandma in the world (I made up a song that went along with that one) 2. Go Sky Diving 7 times. 3. Own a dollar store 4. Own a field of mini ponies 4. Work at a chinese food restaurant at one time in your life 5. Drive the Zamboni at a Maple Leafs game. haha. I can’t seem to remember any more.
11. I love moving. I hate the act of packing and moving but I love moving to new places. I don’t think I will ever live in the same house/area for a long period of time. We have lived in Albany now for 3 years. This has been the longest we have lived any where together. I won’t lie, it is a little hard to not want to start planning another move. We are here now for good reason so I am focusing on that. Here are a few places in my head I want to move one day… Vancouver, Seattle, San Francisco, North Carolina, Arizona, Denver, Paris and New Zealand. I don’t just want to visit. I want to live there. haha. See? I am all dreaming up something!
DANIELLE’S 11 QUESTIONS…
1. If money, schooling or time was no obstacle, what career would you choose?
I would want to teach art at a college level (maybe one day still, after kids are all in school) or I would love to work for Martha Stewart in her crafts department. I want to make crafts and style photo shoots for her magazine. DREAM JOB!!!
2. What’s the one thing you look forward to every day?
Hugs and Kisses from Kev and Rowan.
3. What is your number one, all-time, favorite blog?
Eeek. I don’t think I could choose. I love so many for so many different reasons.
4. Biggest online pet peeve?
I hate, hate, hate the mean, catty, negativity that can surround blogging. If you don’t like something or someone STOP READING! If you can’t be happy for someone, then move on. Don’t drag everyone down around you by being mean.
5. What is your all-time favorite book?
I am not a big reader. I don’t have the patience for it. I would much rather be creating something. That’s just me though. I do love Art history books and old botany illustration books.
6. What would your “last meal” be?
MMMmmmmm Burrito with lots of salsa and guacamole!
7. Do you believe in love at first site?
No. I don’t. I think to have a lasting, loving marriage you need to be best friends with that person. I don’t think that is something that happens from a glance. It could be a start of something for sure but that is not love at that very moment. I really, really liked Katie’s answer on this question. I whole heartily agree with her.
8. What would your ideal Sunday morning consist of?
It would be to sleep in just a little (like till 9am), then be able to walk or bike ride to our favorite breakfast place for breakfast as a family. Then I really love going to church all together on Sundays.
9. Why do you blog?
I blog for a lot of reason but mostly I love have creative it makes me and I love, love, love the community it has created. I also love it now as a way to document our life with Rowan.
10. If you had to choose one color to wear forever, what would you pick? Black. Hands down.
11. What is your all-time favorite band? Piebald.
I tag anyone who wants to participate. Let me know in the comments if you put up a post!
I liked Danielle’s questions so much you can just answer those ones if you want to play along.
I wanna play…but i should probably answer your email first…Sorry, It’s coming!!
Yesss chocolate popsicles (and not fudgesicles)! I loved those things as a kid… I likely spent all of my paper route money on those babies at the corner store for something like 25 cents. Maybe they were a Canadian thing?
I’ve got the same problem as you mentioned in item #6. I’m 30, have a two year old and another on the way, but when I’m with “other mums” I feel so out of place and young and clumsy and awkward. For some reason I assume they all know each other and have shared parenting values, etc., and I’m totally out of the loop. Although if I remember correctly, I had this feeling in high school and university about lots of social groups too, so it might not be so much a “mum” thing, as a personality thing..
Oh – and if you’re talking about Popsicle Pete style chocolate popsicles – we still have them (in Canada)! Got them at my local corner store just a few weeks ago!
I am also deathly afraid of scary movies. The commercials can give me nightmares. And I am a 25 year old mom to an almost two year old little girl. I know in my heart this is where I am supposed to be/want to be in life, but I feel so young and out of place in other ‘mom’ settings. I swear when I drop her off at Mother’s Day Out on Thursdays, everyone is looking at me like, “What is she, 18? What is she doing here?” But whatever I guess, I love my little girl.
And now I want to listen to Mates of State! I guess those high school years were really a good time for music because I can’t let go either.
This was such a great post. I never realized we had a lot in common like the horror movie thing.
I hate to be a bubble burster, but you DO NOT want to work for Martha Stewart, I have heard true horror stories about the abuse her employees endure (and not just from her but its a pretty brutal work environment from my understanding). However, it would be really cool if you taught college art! I would totally try to take one of your classes. I love when you post your creations here. (I’ve def commented this before, but you totally remind me of my mom 🙂 )
I am the same way with #6! I’m 30 and have a 4 month old, but I feel like they are all looking down at me like I’m some kind of child who doesn’t belong in this “club”. It’s so weird, because I doubt that is the case, but I just feel so awkward in those situations. Glad to know I’m not the only one!
Thanks so much for sharing! I have to agree with you on number one! I have to change the channel if a commercial for a scary movie comes on. If my husband has the remote, I close my eyes, cover my ears and start la, la la-ing until it ends! I love number two! I’m a huge dreamer, however, I love that you make your dreams a reality! I’m still sitting in a cube dreaming about getting out. Why is that when you get older, you are scared to make that move? And speaking of moving, I love to move as well! The current house we’re living in, and city for that matter, are both the longest I’ve ever lived anywhere and I’m DYING to move! Out of my house and into a new city preferably!
I loved learning so many great new things about you! Thanks again for sharing!
i’m really enjoying learning random and fun (and sometimes moving) things about lots of people whose blogs i follow. i was tagged and did it too. you can see it here – http://www.nancyknitsuk.blogspot.com/2012/02/litle-insight.html
In Australia we have chocolate paddle pops. I am guessing they are like the Canadian chocolate popsicles. So delicious, although banana was always my favourite!
I love this! I am RIGHT WITH YOU on #1 & 2! Word for word agreement!
Here’s the one I did! http://lovefromvalerie.blogspot.com/2012/02/getting-to-know-you-well-me.html#comment-form
I love this! I feel exactly the same about all scary movies.. can’t cope!
Ah Paris. I’d love to move there for a few months or years. You might not read much but this I know you’d enjoy:
Paris was ours by Penelope Rowlands
It is filled with autobiographical stories of people’s times living in Paris and it is so good. Not all of them loved Paris but they all recognize its pull and how it changed them. Its a fab read
Yes. Move to New Zealand! I think you’d love my home town of Wellington!
Also, totally identify with number 6. I am eternally 16 years old in my head with work, motherhood, socialising with new people. Forever awkward!
I do seek out new music (not a lot) but I still have a lot of college favorites on heavy rotation. Including two of my favorite albums ever Saves the Day ‘Stay as You Are’ and “Through Being Cool’. I wish they had kept with their same style because anything newer of theirs is just not good.
My Dashboard CD lives in my car, where I can sing along in my loudest voice and nobody will know. Perhaps we’re the last remnants of Chris Carraba’s fanbase 🙂
OK, you’re number one made me laugh out loud because I feel the EXACT same way!!!! We don’t have cable anymore, and I just watch my shows on Hulu, and I was just telling my husband what a HUGE difference it makes for me to not have to see those commercials anymore. They stay with you!!!! I hate it!!!!
BUT the main reason I laughed out loud was because The Exorcism of Emily Rose was the last horror movie I saw too – they had a free screening of it at my school when it first came out and my college buddies convinced me to see it. It has taken YEARS to get that one out of my head, and I have finally convinced myself to just laugh a little if I wake up at 3am and start to feel a little creeped out 😉 haha. I can handle a thriller from time to time, but exorcism movies are the WORST
Aw, this was so fun to read… loved getting to know new things about you!! And you should, SO move to Vancouver – that’s where I live! 😉 It’s a super awesome city though, really beautiful, I love being surrounded by ocean & mountains – everywhere! And I too love moving… decorating a new home and getting to explore new areas, so much fun. xo veronika
Love the list of goals from when you were younger. I still think you should strive to be the fittest Grandma!
This was really fun to read! Thanks for sharing. xo, rv
I literally laughed my ass off at number 1. I thought I was the only one like this. I am such a wuss I don’t know how the heck i make it through the resident evil movies every time. i freak out before watching and then I watch them and II dream about zombies for months ugh.
Haha – So incredibly with you on #1 and #4. My co-workers tease me that if someone in the world is singing Jesus Loves Me I must know it b/c I’ll start crying. I do, I cry at how much he DOES love me (and everyone else) when I hear that song.
My north shore native boyfriend is going to be throughly impressed by your Piebald reference! Loved this list!
girl, don’t let the old music memories die! i still listen to my favorites from high school & college. all the songs remind me of great times, specific moments, things i really don’t ever want to let go of.
Jen, I loved this post so much! I definitely agree about scary movies…I don’t understand the obsession with them. So far, I’m really proud to say I have never watched one, and I don’t plan on watching any anytime soon either! 🙂
Also, I love what you said in number 2. I do tend to be a big dreamer sometimes too, but unfortunately unlike you, I rarely act on my dreams….definitely inspired to try harder after reading this.
Finally, number 11 rings so true for me too! I have not travelled very much yet, but I have dreamt of going to so many places, and it always involves living there (even just for a few months!) rather than just visiting. I always thought and have recently realized that the 2 are such different experiences. I love seeing all the touristy things on visits, but when it comes down to it, I’m most excited to see how daily life changes depending on the place you’re in when you stay a while.
Wow, this turned into a loooong comment 😛 I just…really loved this post!!! 🙂
Have a great week ahead!
I think the mini ponies are called pygmy horses and I actually laughed SO hard at this post. So many similarities in us like candies and scary movies. This was a great post!
Like a pudding pop? Hey hey hey….
Jen, your #6 is how I feel every time I leave our house…is like they all stare and judge…not a nice feeling
Move to Denver! I will babysit Rowan for your date nights!
exorcism movies are THE scariest. i can handle most scary movies but those kind reeeally get to me. that one is especially terrible. ha! this was fun to read…
I’m terrified of scary movies too.
Also I can personally recommend New Zealand as a great place to live. I moved to Australia for 2 years, but was so terribly homesick for proper mountains and greenery.
I’ll never leave again 🙂
mini ponies are fun! I love love donkeys! if I pass a pasture with donkeys in it, I am seriously ppulling the car over to try to get them to come to the fence so I can pet them 🙂 I’ve met some sweet donkeys 😀 I also participated via Danielle’s questions which is how I made my way over to your blog! Had so much fun 🙂
I love this post so much. I saw Lauren from Busy Bee Lauren did one the other day and it looked like such a good idea. The majority of your random facts are so similar to me! I’m terrified of scary movies too, like even trailers – I squeal so loud and have to turn the channel over or off haha! I’m such a wimp when it comes to movies – it’s got to be Disney/Animation movies all the way! 🙂
Your last meal sounds delish! I love learning more about the bloggers I follow. Here’s mine: http://budgetmaven.wordpress.com/2012/02/29/11-things/
I still have nightmares about Jeepers Creepers and I only watched half of it….in 11th grade. I’m right there with ya sister 🙂
Oh how fun!
This is so cool to see more about you, like i’d never think you were a big candy person haha. I am totally the same page with new music lol. I also made a list when I was a kid, but I still keep adding to it, its become my bucket list.
This post and the one before it cracked me up. I also HAAATE scary movies, bleggh. I love that Denver is on your list of wishful places to move! I moved here from my hometown right outside Albany (after college in Boston) almost 4 years ago and absolutely love it. It’s hard being landlocked and so far away from family sometimes, but we love our life out here.
ooh, fun! I will definitely do this. I was a sucker for those quiz memes back in my livejournal days, haha.
I totally forgot about dashboard! baaa! Guess what I have turned on now?!
I am the exact same with moving! Maybe I’m just always antsy for change? I never necessarily wanted to buy because I hate the idea of being locked down in one place.
It bothers me you would let go of your music you’ve listened to. I grew up listening to a lot of similar bands as you and even though my interests have expanded and grown, I will not change that part of my life just because I am growing and getting older. The music should just goes along with you. My boyfriend and I bond over the bands I listened to eight years ago. It is fun.
Plus, I know that my 11 year old self would be disappointed if I didn’t continue listening to Hanson. Mmmbop to that.
I too hate scary movies. I saw the same scary movie that you did. An ex boyfriend made me go. I can’t believe that someone else freaks out when they wake up at 3. I so do that still. Thanks for that story. I like knowing that someone else has the same worries as I do!
This is so much fun! I did learn a lot and you do crack me up! 🙂
I might just consider myself taggedâ€¦but only if I can get around to blogging tomorrow!
If so I’ll come back and let you know! 😉 Thanks! Oh–and you missed a place–Moving back here to Hawaii!? (or did you get your fill? 🙂 You’d love living on the north shore you know!)
I’m new to your blog so I had no idea you were originally from Canada. I live in Toronto but I’m from Vancouver. You should totally move there 🙂 It’s just beautiful. I miss it dearly.
Hi! I had a snow day today so decided to give this a shot. Here is the link:
Hope you guys are well and have fun in TX!
Maybe I will finally do one of these posts…they’ve been floating around my reader all week. Like you, I am COMPLETELY obsessed with mini ponies…and sloths…it’s totally weird. I live in Seattle an I can tell you first hand that it’s awesome….minus the darkness from December – March. Just make sure to take plenty of vitamin D. 🙂
Well, you’re a sensible dreamer because New Zealand is. Awe.some! 🙂
I’m exactly the same as far as scary movies are concerned! My boyfriend was laughing at me last night because we were watching TV and an ad for ‘The Devil Inside’ came on… so I naturally jumped off the couch like a crazy person to change the channel! Ergh. Anything like that gives me the absolute creeps.
And I think you would love New Zealand! 😉
Wow l feel like we have a weirdly amount of things in common. We could be good pals. Fun!
PS – I finally caved and did a post! http://www.pecklife.com/blog/2012/03/blah-blah11-thingsblah-blah.html
I’m totally with you on:
3. sweet tooth.. its my biggest nemesis! sweeties, gummy bears, sugary anything!LOVE!
4. Being super sensitive. i was a sap before i had my son, i’d cry over an advert, but since him its like a million times worse! i cry all the time, happy, sad i cry!lol!
6. I KNOW THIS EXACT FEELING. in my head i see myself as a young mummy (im 27), but the way i dress and act is still like a big kid, i constantly worry that other mums judge me on these silly things. but i love my son and he loves me, and the same for you and rowan, we should sooo not care what others think(easier said then done right?!)
Thanks for sharing jen, bthat is such a great list!! 🙂
i ran across your blog, and i loved that i did. i saw that you posted this and i read most of it. i decided to link myself to my work email so that today i can read it and post one too! (of course in between down time/work duties! …to all you potential employers with extensive background checks.) but by 5… there should be a post! 🙂