Hey everyone! I hope you all had a great weekend! On friday, Rowan and I decided we should head down to FL to visit my Mom and Dad. They have been down here enjoying their vacation home since New years (lucky them) but last week on a bike ride my mom fractured her foot. Then yesterday, my dad tore his meniscus. The luck, right? Anyway, we hopped a plane yesterday and came down to help them out for the week.
The weather is just beautiful! A nice change from the frigid cold in the Northeast. Today we got to watch the dolphins play in the canal, go for a walk in bare feet, catch some geckos, and lay around reading books in the sun. It will be a good week! Although, we do miss Kev terribly. We do get to facetime with him every night which makes it a little easier. Rowan just loves it!
We made it through the plane ride which was my biggest fear in getting here. Rowan doesn’t sit still, like ever. So, I was pretty scared about making it here in one piece by myself. Here are some tips that I learned along the way…
1. Get the extra seat! Using the lap infant ticket when that lap infant is the squirmiest baby around is not a good idea. We were lucky and on both of our flights just happen to have an extra seat on the plane. It gave her some personal space and a little area to stand. I think from now on if I can afford to pay for the extra seat I will. So worth it.
2. Get an ipad. We loaded up the ipad with a bunch of Yo Gabba Gabba, Sesame Street, Fraggle Rock and Phineas & Ferb.
3. Buy stickers and a plastic folder or sticker book they can peal stickers on and off from.
4. If you are traveling alone, get your husband a security pass to come to the gate with you. We just asked at the counter and Kev was allowed to come with us all the way to the plane. So freakin’ helpful!
5. Have lots of small, new toys in your carry on. Rowan’s attention span is short. In the time we got on the plane, to the time we took off we had made our way through almost every toy. Have lots of options.
6. Get this little Crayola Dry Erase Activity Center. Rowan loved it. She colored and I drew her about a million kitties.
7. Stay calm, stay calm, stay calm. Kiddos feed our your stress level.
8. Special snacks. Things you might not normally feed them on a day to day basis.
9. Favorite books
10. Bring a blanket. Hopefully your kiddo will eventually fall asleep on the plane. Most likely it will happen with the calm vibrations and loud white noise. It is nice to have a blanket to cuddle them up in. It is cold on airplanes! and you can wrap it up around their ears to block out all the seatbelt announcements that will most likely wake them up. Grrrr!