Last week I realized that I have never in my life cooked lasagna. It is one of Kev’s favorites. Whoops. I lose points for being a good wife. I think I always passed on the thought of it because in my head I see it filled with meat. Yuck. I know there is veggie lasagna, but I just hadn’t thought of cooking it before. Now, enter in the best tasting lasagna ever! I cooked a butternut squash and spinach lasagna last week and Kev and I eat the entire pan over a course of 3 days. It was so good! Something about the butternut squash made it over the top delicious.
2 cup chopped onion
10 cups fresh spinach
3/4 cup (3 ounces) shredded sharp provolone cheese
1/2 cup chopped fresh parsley
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
2 large eggs
1 (15oz) carton part-skim ricotta cheese
1 (15oz) carton fat-free ricotta cheese
3 cups diced peeled butternut squash
6 cups Marinara
12 cooked whole wheat lasagna noodles
1 cup grated fresh Parmesan cheese
1. Preheat oven to 375Â°
2. Heat a large pan over medium-high heat. Add onion; sautÃ© 4 minutes or until tender. Add spinach; sautÃ© 1 1/2 minutes or until spinach wilts.
3. Combine provolone, parsley, salt, pepper, eggs, and ricotta cheeses in a large bowl.
4. Boil squash in pot until tender. Drain and set aside.
5. Coat the bottom and sides of 2 (8-inch-square) baking dishes with cooking spray.
6. Spread Marinara in the bottom of one prepared dish. Arrange 2 noodles over sauce. Then layer cheese mixture over noodles, then squash over the cheese, then spread more sauce over the squash.
7. Arrange 2 noodles over sauce; spread cheese mixture over those noodles. Arrange onion/spinach mixture over cheese; spread sauce over the onion/spinach mixture.
8. Arrange 2 noodles over sauce; spread Marinara evenly over noodles. Sprinkle with 1/2 cup Parmesan.
9. Repeat procedure with remaining ingredients in remaining pan. Cover each pan with foil.
10. Bake at 375Â° for 30 minutes. Uncover and bake an additional 30 minutes.
*original Recipe found from Cooking Light
great pictures, it looks delicious and I am not a vegetarian but I just may have to give this one a try!!
Oh my goodness, how yummy! We make a delicious version of this but it has a homemade white sauce instead! One of my favorites! We even had it as a side for Thanksgiving last year.
i agree with the previous post….i’m not a vegetarian either but i have got to make this! yum 🙂
! ! !
This might be my favorite recipe of yours! I’m absolutely crazy for everything butternut squash and this looks delish! I made lasagna with veggie sauce last week and it was really good but I felt it wasn’t consistent enough in the end. This is the perfect recipe!
Definitely trying it out. Thanks Jen!
Great minds think alike! This is the 3rd butternut squash recipe I’ve seen in the past 2 days on my fav blogs. Looks amazing though!
I made the EXACT same thing in the crock pot, just layer everything in the crock pot, and put it on low for 5-6 hours. I love it when my dinner makes itself 🙂
YUM! I like to put spinach in my lasagna, soooo tasty!
this looks super yummy!
you could try it with Quorn too, that’s a favourite in our vegetarian house!
My husband’s favorite dish is lasagna as well. I made this recipe for his birthday when we had a bunch of company over and it is to die for! If you ever want to try a different recipe I would highly recommend it.
TOTALLY bookmarked this one! yummy 🙂 love the veggie recipes you post!
oh my god, i have to make this. i have been craving pasta lately and looking for a good veggie lasagne dish!!
this dish is in the oven as we speak! I did, however, have some trouble finding whole wheat lasagna…any tips?