Roasted Butternut Squash with Whole Wheat Pasta
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 onion (diced)
2 cloves garlic (chopped)
4 cups butternut squash puree (about 1 large butternut squash)
1/4 cup heavy cream
1/2 cup grated parmigiano reggiano
1/8 teaspoon nutmeg
1 tablespoon sage (chopped)
salt and pepper to taste
1 pound pasta (I used whole wheat)
A few handfuls of baby Spinach
1. Cut butternut squash in half long ways. Scoop out seeds
2. Place face down on a baking sheet. Place into a 400 degree oven for 30-60 mins, or until you can scoop insides easily with a spoon and mash.
1. Heat the oil in a pan.
2. Add the onion and saute until tender.
3. Add the garlic about 1 minute.
4. Add the butternut squash puree, cream, cheese, nutmeg, sage, salt and pepper and simmer for 5 minutes. (If it is too thick you can add some water or milk. If it is too thin, let it simmer for a while to thicken.)
5. Meanwhile cook the pasta as directed. Before you drain the pasta place your baby spinach in the strainer and then strain your pasta over the spinach. Mix pasta and Spinach.
6. Serve. Place pasta in bowl (you can add a few more leaves of baby spinach on top. Spoon Sauce over top and sprinkle with cheese.
yum! I didn’t realize squash was still sold at this time of year!
your outfit below is great. hope you catch up on sleep though.
Mmmm this looks wonderful! I tend to use squash just to make soup but might try this out.
Yum, that looks delicious. I would have never thought butternut squash would be good over pasta, but I will have to try your recipe out!
My mouth is watering right now- that looks so delicious! Too bad I can’t eat pasta for 7 more days. Oh, Passover…
mmmmm….all of your food photos turn out beautifully and make me hungry! This looks supper yummy.
P.S. I love your green plates!
Thanks for sharing, I love recipe posts! This looks yummy.
That looks really good. I always admire vegetarians for being so creative with vegetables, the omnivores (like me) often taken the easy road. I just bought a veggie cookbook hoping to spruce up my cooking.
Hi Jen! Can you talk about how you’re eating vegetarian for the baby. I assume you are but was just wondering if you have to eat more protein or iron.
Mmmm – we made this for supper tonight, and it’s definitely going to be a repeat. Thanks for this delish recipe!
oh wow, that looks amazing.
i think i might have to make that myself!!
Made this last week… loved it!