Vegetarian Chili and Vegan Corn Muffins
Mmm I love nothing more than warm and hearty meals as the weather starts to turn. One of my favorites is chili! Especially with all the Octoberfest beer out in the stores now! MMmmmm. The recipes below or obviously veg. but the chili could just as easily be made with ground beef and a few less beans. The corn muffins are delicious and I bet no one would even know they were vegan if you didn’t tell them.
1 1/2 teaspoons egg replacer (dry)
2 tablespoons water
1 cup yellow cornmeal
1/2 cup all-purpose flour
2 teaspoons baking powder
2 tablespoons white sugar
2 tablespoons vegetable oil
7/8 Soy Milk
1/8 Lemon Juice
1/2 teaspoon salt
1. Preheat oven to 450 degrees F. Grease muffin tin.
2. In a small bowl, beat together egg replacer and water. In a separate bowl, combine cornmeal, flour, baking powder, sugar and salt. Add egg mixture, oil and Milk/Lemon Juice; stir until smooth. Spoon batter into muffin tins.
3. Bake for 10 to 15 minutes, until a toothpick inserted into the center of a muffin comes out clean.
4 cloves garlic, minced
2 tablespoons olive oil
1 (28 ounce) can diced tomatoes with juice
1 (8 ounce) can tomato sauce
1 (6 ounce) can tomato paste
1 (12 fluid ounce) can or bottle beer
1 Orange Bell Pepper – chopped
3 tablespoons chili powder
1 tablespoon mustard powder
1 teaspoon dried oregano
freshly ground black pepper
2 teaspoon ground cumin
1 teaspoon hot pepper sauce (or less if you want)
1 (15 ounce) can black beans, rinsed and drained
2 (15 ounce) can garbanzo beans, drained
1 (15 ounce) can pinto beans, drained and rinsed
1 (15 ounce) can Dk. kidney beans, drained and rinsed
Frozen Corn- amount is up to you.
2 cups shredded Cheddar cheese
1 sliced Avacado
1. In a big pot, saute garlic in oil.
2. Add diced tomatoes (undrained), tomato sauce, tomato paste, beer, chili powder, mustard powder, oregano, pepper, cumin, hot pepper sauce. Stir in the pinto beans, garbanzo beans, black beans, kidney beans, bell pepper and corn. Bring the mixture to a boil, reduce heat, and let simmer for 20 minutes. Top each serving with cheese and avacado (if you’d like).