Last week I had the honor of sharing a recipe with Modcloth for a series of Friendsgiving Day recipes they posted on their blog. I decided to share a side dish that I have been eating a ton of lately. Although, I eat it as a meal over some quinoa most of the time. So tasty! I bet even if you don’t like brussels sprouts you will like this recipes. Brown sugar makes every thing better!
Brussels Sprouts & Sweet Potato Hash
1-2 sweet potatoes, peeled and cubed
10-15 Brussels sprouts, sliced
1/2 of a red onion, diced
1 clove of garlic
2 tbsp olive oil
1/3 cup dried cranberries
1/2 cup almond slivers
3-5 tbsp brown sugar, depending on sweetness preference
2 tbsp soy sauce
freshly ground pepper
1. Peel and cube the sweet potato, set aside.
2. Soak and rinse the Brussels sprouts in water, trim the stems off and cut into quarters, set aside.
3. In a large skillet, heat the olive oil over medium heat. Add the garlic and onion, cooking until onions are translucent.
4. Add the sweet potatoes. Stir regularly, cooking until they just begin to soften, about 6-8 minutes.
5. Add the Brussels sprouts, cranberries, and almonds, stirring to combine. Add the brown sugar and continue to cook â€” stirring regularly â€” until everything is soft and caramelized, about 6-8 minutes.
6. At the very end, splash in a bit of soy sauce, and salt and pepper to taste.