Since I got lots of comments on our #1 pinata for Rowan’s party, I decided I would post a little tutorial. (I got the idea from Oh Happy Day!) It is super easy and a great way to add a little extra something to your party. Everyone loves a pinata. Who wouldn’t want to whack something to get candy? Sounds like a party to me!
1. We just happened to get Rowan a new bike seat so we had a large box around, but you will need cardboard that is about 3″x2″ in size. Cut out a front and back of the number you want to make. Make sure they are the same size. Decide how wide you want it to be and start cutting strips to use for the sides. I cut 4″ wide strips for the side.
2. Start taping the front and back numbers to the side pieces.
3. Trim the sides when you get to corners so everything fits perfectly.
4. Continue working all the way around the number taping it all together.
5. When you get to curves make sure the corrugated part of the cardboard is horizontal with the curve. It will make it really easy to bend the cardboard as you tape along the curve
6. Leave an opening for the candy to go in
7. Cut 3″ strips of tissue paper. Cut fringe strips every 1/2 inch or so on both sides of the tissue paper. Make sure not to cut all the way through.
8. Fold cut tissue paper strips in half and attach to pinata with hot glue. I worked from the bottom to the top alternating between red, turquoise and pink.
When you are done, fill with candy and you are good to go!