African Sweet Potato Stew with Red Beans
This is by far one of my favorite meals I have ever made. The first time I made it was probably a year or so ago and it has been my favorite ever since. It has such an amazing flavor. The left overs are even better. Mmmm I could eat this everyday. The peanut butter in it just puts it over the top for me. So delicious!
2 teaspoons olive oil
1 1/2 cups chopped onion
1 garlic clove, minced
4 cups or so cubed peeled sweet potato
1 can, drained small red beans
1 1/2 cups vegetable broth
1 cup chopped red bell pepper
1/2 cup water
1 teaspoon grated peeled fresh ginger
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
1/4 teaspoon black pepper
1 (14.5-ounce) can diced tomatoes, drained
1 (4.5-ounce) can chopped green chiles, drained
3 tablespoons creamy peanut butter
3 tablespoons chopped dry-roasted peanuts
6 lime wedges
1. In a large pot, heat oil over medium heat. Add onion and garlic; cover and cook 5 minutes or until tender.
2. Add sweet potato and next 10 ingredients (through chiles). Cover and cook on medium until sweet potatoes are tender. Maybe 30 mins.
3. Take a potato masher and mash up your stew so it becomes thick and chunky.
4. Spoon 1 cup cooking liquid into a small bowl. Add peanut butter; stir well with a whisk. Stir peanut butter mixture into stew.
5. Stir in handfuls of peanuts (how many is up to you)
6. Serve with lime wedges (and maybe some homemade cornbread)
I found this recipe from Cooking Light