Pistachio Asparagus Pesto
I love pesto so when I saw a recipe to make a pesto with pistachio and asparagus I was really interested. I was a little worried if Kev would enjoy it but he loved it- we both did!!
1 pound pasta
Pistachio Asparagus pesto (see below)
parmigiano reggiano to taste (grated, for garnish)
asparagus tips (for garnish)
pistachios (chopped, for garnish)
1 cup asparagus (cleaned, trimmed, blanched and chopped- I save the tips and saute them for the garnish)
1/4 cup spinach
1 clove garlic (chopped)
2 tablespoons pistachios
1/4 cup parmigiano reggiano (grated)
3 tablespoons olive oil
lemon juice to taste (optional)
salt to taste
Directions for pesto:
1. Place everything into a food processor and blend.
1. Cook the pasta in well salted water as directed on the package.
2. While Pasta is cooking- saute up the asparagus tips in a pan with some oil and garlic.
2. When the pasta is cooked to al dente drain the pasta water reserving some of it.
3. Pour the pasta back into the still hot pan, add the pesto and enough of the pasta water to make a smooth sauce that coats the pasta.
4. Serve garnished with parmigiano reggiano, the asparagus tips and some chopped pistachios.